14 Okt 2022 - 15 Okt 2022
Gesellschaft & Kultur
Television’s Useful Images
Workshop by Anne-Katrin Weber, University of Basel, and Markus Stauff, University of Amsterdam
What is television doing in the military, in schools, in the medical context? How to think of television images that help decide the outcome of a sports competition?
This two-day workshop investigates those and other applications of television that redefine the medium as a useful tool, rather than a mass medium. It brings together scholars from various disciplines including media studies, science and technology studies, history of medicine, and television studies.
The workshop will be organized as a hybrid event (with online and offline participation) and the discussion will be continued at a follow-up workshop in Amsterdam on 1 and 2 December 2022.
- Fernanda Bruno, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
- Carlos d’Andréa, Federal University of Minas Gerais
- Kit Hughes, Colorado State University
- André Mintz, Federal University of Minas Gerais
- Laura Niebling, University of Regensburg
- Markus Stauff, University of Amsterdam
- Márcio Telles, Universidade Tuiuti do Paraná
- Anne-Katrin Weber, University of Basel
- Daniela Zetti, Technische Universität München
Friday, 14 October 2022 (Forum eikones and online)
- 14:00–15:00: Markus Stauff, Television as Referee: Institutional and Vernacular Epistemologies in Media Sport, in person
- 15:15–16:15: Anne-Katrin Weber, Atomic TV: Towards a History of Television’s Industrial-Military Complex, in person
- 16:45–17:45: Laura Niebling & Daniela Zetti, Medical Imaging Networks.
- Protocol, Model, Document, online
Saturday, 15 October 2022 (online)
- 14:00–15:00: Kit Hughes, Mediated Intimacies, Managed Workers: from Downsizing to COVID-19, online
- 15:15–16:15: Carlos d’Andréa, Márcio Telles and Eduardo Oliveira, A 1980's Video Assistant (not for the) Referee: an exploratory study of "Tira-Teima" technology in Brazil, online
- 16:45–17:45: Fernanda Bruno, Predictive images: gestures under surveillance, online
- 18:00–19:00: André Mintz, Seeing the image for the network: making use of images in digital methods, online
Venue and Registration
The event will be held in person and online.
- eikones – Center for the Theory and History of the Image, Forum (R.208), Rheinsprung 11, 4051 Basel
- For participating online, please sign up here for Zoom link.
Workshop organized by Anne-Katrin Weber, NOMIS Fellow, eikones, University of Basel and Markus Stauff, University of Amsterdam
eikones – Center for the Theory and History of the Image
Veranstaltungen übernehmen alsiCal