Ethics Committee of the University of Basel
The University Ethics Committee (UEK) is a permanent committee of the Senate mandated to ensure the optimal respect of the principles of research ethics at the University of Basel. The UEK is independent of directives. It is committed to comply with the regulations as well as the standards of good scientific practice in the fields concerned.
Tasks and areas of competence
The UEK advises the Rectorate on ethical matters on request and represents the University to the public on ethical issues. In addition, the UEK reviews on request the ethical acceptability of research projects at the University of Basel.
All research projects that do not fall under the Human Research Act (HRA) and include the following aspects must be reviewed for approval by the UEK.
- research projects involving work with minors, vulnerable or persons incapable of judgement;
- research projects involving non-anonymised sensitive personal data (health data, information on lifestyle, sexuality, ethnicity, political, religious or philosophical views);
- research projects that could potentially harm the participants or third parties;
- research projects in which participants are observed or located;
- research projects involving the collection of genetic information;
- research that could give rise to technologies or know-how that could be used for military purposes or misused for terrorist purposes.
General Manager: Dr. Isabelle Wienand
Meeting Dates 2020
As guidance for your ethics application, you can consult the following exemplar: