+ -

International Incoming

International Incoming
International Incoming (© University of Basel)

You would like to start a research project at the University of Basel? In this case you need a contact person and a host institute. You apply with your research idea or your exposé directly to the responsible person in the relevant research area or to open positions at the University of Basel. If no other means are available for funding, consult the following offers.

International Funding

  • SNSF Ambizione

    s aimed at young researchers who would like to conduct, manage and lead an independently planned project at a Swiss university and have a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 48 months of postdoctoral research experience.

  • SNSF Starting Grants

    The SNSF Starting Grants are aimed at researchers who wanted to apply for the ERC Starting Grants, SNSF Eccellenza or PRIMA to lead their own research project and research team at a university in Switzerland. The funding instrument is open to all disciplines and topics. Researchers from all countries can participate. Applicants can apply for a maximum budget of CHF 1.8 million for a period of five years.

  • Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists

    The Federal Commission for Scholarships of the Swiss Confederation awards various scholarships to foreign researchers. These scholarships offer researchers of all disciplines the opportunity to continue their doctoral or postdoctoral research at a Swiss public or state-recognized university. Scholarships and conditions depend on the country of origin.

  • ERC Starting Grants

    If you apply for an ERC StG at the University of Basel or if you transfer your ERC StG to the University of Basel, we offer you:

    • An assistant professorship for the duration of the ERC project, the salary for the research part (about 80%) will be covered by the ERC grant, the salary for teaching (20%) will be covered by the university.
    • An outstanding, innovative research environment for young talented scientists at one of the top universities in the heart of Europe.

    Are you interested in coming to the University of Basel with an ERC Starting Grant? Please contact the Grants Office: grants@unibas.ch

  • EU: Marie Skłodowska-Curie Postdoctoral Fellowships

    Marie Skłodowska-Curie Postdoctoral Fellowships (PF) offer an opportunity to experienced researchers to diversify their creative and innovative potential through advanced training as well as international and intersectoral mobility and to further develop their individual competences. Postdoctoral Fellowships thus enable the acquisition and transfer of knowledge through research work in a European (EU member states and associated countries) or non-European context.

  • EMBL Fellow Programmes

    The European Molecular Biology Laboratory is an intergovernmental organization that specializes in basic research in the life sciences. The organization consists of 21 member states, one potential candidate and two affiliated countries. There are currently 85 independent research groups working in the field of molecular biology at EMBL.

  • EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships

    For postdoctoral research to fund and support their internationally mobile careers.

  • EMBO Scientific Exchange Grants

    Fund research visits of up to three months to laboratories in Europe and elsewhere in the world.

  • Human Frontier Science Fellowships

    HFSP postdoctoral fellowships encourage young scientists to expand their research skills by exploring new fields of research through working in a different country. HFSP fellowships last for three years. Fellows can either spend the entire duration in their host country or return to their home country for the final year or spend this year in another HFSP member country.

FAQ - International Incoming

  • How do I find a supervisor for my application for a Swiss Federal Excellence Scholarship for Foreign Scholars and Artists?

    On the website of the University of Basel you may find information about your subject and the areas of study the departments engage in. For further inquiries contact a professor of your choice directly. If you have any questions, please contact the Student Exchange Office.

To top