Ethics Committee of the University of Basel
The University Ethics Committee (UEK) is a permanent committee of the Senate mandated to ensure the optimal respect of the principles of research ethics at the University of Basel. The UEK is independent of directives. It is committed to comply with the regulations as well as the standards of good scientific practice in the fields concerned.
Tasks and areas of competence
The UEK advises the Rectorate on ethical matters on request and represents the University to the public on ethical issues. In addition, the UEK reviews on request the ethical acceptability of research projects at the University of Basel.
The UEK reviews on researchers' request the ethical conformity of research projects that do not fall under the Human Research Act (HRA) and include the following aspects:
- research projects involving work with minors, vulnerable or persons incapable of judgement;
- research projects involving non-anonymized sensitive personal data (health-related data, information on lifestyle, sexuality, ethnicity, political, religious or philosophical views);
- research projects that could potentially harm the participants or third parties;
- research projects in which participants are observed or located;
- research projects involving the collection of genetic information;
- research that could give rise to technologies or know-how that could be used for military purposes or misused for terrorist purposes.
The UEK does not issue retrospective ethical reviews, i.e. after data collection has already started, but the UEK can give on researchers' request an advisory opinion.
General Manager: Dr. Isabelle Wienand
Meeting Dates 2023
Is your research project ethically sensitive and should it be approved by the UEK? If you need approval from the UEK, please send your completed application form (see Downloads below) to email@example.com at least three weeks before the respective meeting (see Meeting Dates above).
As guidance for your ethics application, you can consult the following exemplar:
Links & Downloads
- Members of the Ethics Committee
- Ethics at the University of Basel – Ethics Committee of the Faculty of Psychology
- Clinical Ethics at the University Hospital Basel (German)
- Gesetz über die Information und den Datenschutz (IDG) des Kantons Basel-Stadt
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) of the European Union
- Federal Act on Research involving Human Beings / Human Research Act (HRA)
- Ethikkommission Nordwest- und Zentralschweiz (EKNZ)
- Swissethics - Swiss Association of Research Ethics Committees
- SAMS Central Ethics Commission for Research (German)
- Federal law on genetic testing in humans (German)
- SAMS Research with Humans : Practical Guidelines (German)