+ -

Advice & FAQ

Several services at the University of Basel aim at supporting their researchers and staff on research and general topics, including academic career development, research funding, scientific integrity or diversity and inclusion. Please find below the corresponding contact persons as well as a list of frequently asked questions.

Advice and Information

  • How does the university promote my academic career?

    If you have any questions regarding your academic career, and in particular regarding funding opportunities at the doctoral or postdoctoral level, please contact the Career Advancement Office.

  • How do I find a doctoral position at the University of Basel?

    Please contact the Career Advancement Office with questions about funding opportunities and other issues concerning academic careers.
    Grants for doctoral programs are advertised on the job portal of the University of Basel.

  • How do I find an internship position after completing my studies?

    Please contact the relevant department or research group where you would like to do an internship.

  • Who can help me create a Data Management Plan?

    The Research Data Management Network publishes instructions and templates for the creation of Data Management Plans on their website, including information on local (subject specific) contacts who can help you with your questions.

  • Where can I find help for organizing and storing my research data?

    Please contact the Research Data Management Network.

  • How can I make my scientific publication freely accessible (Open Access)?

    The University of Basel obliges its researchers to make their scientific publications openly accessible. There are two ways to do so:

    • Publish your article in a Gold Open Access Journal (publications  are made available immediately, without restriction and free of charge)
    • Publish under Green Open Access by depositing your article on the repository edoc.

    Further information on Open Access is available at the University Library.

  • What financial support does the University of Basel provide for publishing Open Access?

    For publications that are not covered by third-party funding members of the University of Basel can apply for support from the Open Access Publication Fund.

  • How does the university support me in funding my research?

    All researchers can access the Research Professional database. For specific questions on national and international grants, please contact the Grants Office.

  • How will I be supported in the application for a major research project?

    The Research Fund of the University of Basel provides start-up financing for the preparation of applications for major projects such as ERC or NCCR.

  • How does the university support me in founding a start-up company?

    The Innovation Office offers members of the University of Basel a coaching and mentoring program for start-up companies. It also supports innovation projects in preparing an Innosuisse application or in founding a company.

  • I am preparing an application for an EU grant and am asked for the PIC number of the University of Basel. What does this mean?

    The Participant Identification Code (PIC) is a unique identification number for organizations wishing to apply for European Union (EU) research funding. The PIC of the University of Basel is: 999907914. Further information

  • What is the deadline for research fund applications?

    Research fund applications for strategic and interdisciplinary projects can be submitted on 1 February and 1 September.

    Applications for the establishment of a research network, as well as funding applications for scientific activities of a recognized research network of the University of Basel can be submitted at any time.

  • What is the maximum amount funded by the research fund?

    Researchers of the University of Basel May apply to the Research Fund for a maximum of CHF 50,000 for the preparation of strategic and interdisciplinary projects or for scientific activities of recognized research networks.

  • What funding categories does the research fund cover?

    The Research Fund provides funds for the preparation of major projects as well as for scientific network activities:

    Applications for strategic and interdisciplinary projects:

    • Salary for a staff member (i.e. study nurse, lab/technical assistant, etc.)
    • Funds for leave of absence
    • Project-relevant material resources

    Applications from recognized research networks at the University of Basel:

    • Scientific activities such as organizing conferences, guest lectures, Visiting Scientist Program, etc.
  • How do I find a supervisor for my application for a Swiss Federal Excellence Scholarship for Foreign Scholars and Artists?

    On the website of the University of Basel you may find information about your subject and the areas of study the departments engage in. For further inquiries contact a professor of your choice directly. If you have any questions, please contact the Student Exchange Office.

  • Who provides advice on patents, contracts and cooperation with business partners?

    Unitectra, the technology transfer organization working for the Universities of Basel, Bern and Zurich, advises you on issues relating to the commercial exploitation of research results (patenting and licensing), the founding of spin-off companies and the negotiation of research contracts.

  • What is a patent?

    A patent legally protects an invention for 20 years. Inventions that require high investments for their economic realization must usually be patented in order to be of interest to an industrial partner. An invention is patentable if it is novel, non obvious and if it is useful. If you have made an invention, contact Unitectra as soon as possible.

  • When does one conclude a license agreement?

    Intellectual property developed by university staff during or in connection with their employment belongs to the university. A license agreement allows a third party to use it commercially under defined conditions and against payment of appropriate license fees, whereas the university remains the owner of the intellectual property. Unitectra supports you in drafting and negotiating appropriate license agreements.

  • Why is it necessary for partners of a research cooperation to enter into a contract?

    A research cooperation agreement defines the rights and obligations of the partners involved. This is particularly important if one of the partners comes from the private sector and thus naturally has slightly different interests from those of the academic partner. In any case, it is important that the freedom of research and publication is not affected. Publications can be delayed for a short period of time if interesting results need to be protected by a patent. Unitectra supports you in drafting contracts and in handling negotiations with business partners.

To top