Introduction - what is the Propelling Grant?
The University of Basel has a strong commitment in translating robust scientific excellence and in delivering innovation to society.
The Propelling Grant is a non-dilutive and highly competitive funding instrument aimed at financially supporting high-risk / high-reward scientific discoveries from the University of Basel and validating the discoveries as a “Proof of Concept”. Successful applicants are required to demonstrate scientific excellence and breakthrough potential as well as to provide some information about the potential commercial viability of the proposed innovation and a first draft strategy about the steps to reach the market / patients / customers.
The Propelling Grant is an instrument which can support a project in two possible directions, both equally viable. One, as a non-dilutive financial instrument on the path to a future entrepreneurial venture (i.e. startup). Two, as supporting funds to validate a technology which has a strong lead for a commercial / industry partnership, but lacks a validation step (i.e. “too early to collaborate”)
The Propelling Grant consists of:
- a financial instrument from the University of Basel, as non-dilutive funding, amounting up to 50k CHF for a time period of maximum 6 months;
- skill building & support (by the Innovation Office), as entrepreneurship courses (in partnership with Innosuisse), a mentoring network (incl. “Entrepreneurs in Residence”), internationalization support, and a worldwide network of academic and industry partners.
Who can apply?
All active affiliates to the University of Basel (PhD students, postdocs, researchers, professors, employees), except Alumni.
What are the terms and conditions of the Propelling Grant?
- The fund will provide up to 50k CHF for a period of time up to 6 months, as non-dilutive funding. The funding can be used for: salaries, consumables, equipment, external services, etc.
- Awardees are required to deliver, in the form of a report (template will be provided) at project end:
- the results of the scientific/technical validation;
- an improved version of the strategy for the next steps (including but not limited to: business plan, market roadmap, next funding, etc.)
Please provide only non-confidential information
Which are the submission deadlines and the interview dates?
The call for projects is always open. Once fully deployed, evaluation will take place four (4) times a year, in February/March, June, September, October/November.
How do I submit my application?
The Propelling Grant is an open call and we welcome applications on a continuous basis.
To submit your application you are required to provide two documents:
- Propelling Grant Application Form - Fill in the provided Word document
- Propelling Grant Slide Deck - Use the provided Powerpoint template file as a guideline
Be aware to provide non-confidential information only!
Please send both documents to the following email address to finalize your application:
Next deadline - TBD 2021