Research Fund Junior Researchers
The University of Basel promotes the academic careers of outstanding junior researchers by awarding grants from the research fund.
The call for applications (in German) is aimed at junior researchers at the University of Basel who wish to pursue an academic career and who have already distinguished themselves through their outstanding achievements. Applicants can apply for up to CHF 80,000 in funding.
The University is striving to increase the number of women in the upper career echelons. Outstanding female scholars are strongly encouraged to apply.
Regulations and guidelines
- Policies (translation of original document)
- Application Guidelines (translation of original document)
- Information sheet for application
February 1 and September 1
February 2020: 3 Febraury 2020, 12 o'clock (lunchtime)
As part of the call for applications for grants from the University of Basel research fund, contributions from the Novartis University of Basel Excellence Scholarship for Life Sciences, the Max Geldner Foundation, the Med. Division of the Lichtenstein Foundation, the L. and Th. La Roche Foundation as well as the Fund for Promoting Young Academic Talent (FFaN) awarded in addition to the funding of the University of Basel.
Who can apply for a grant?
- Outstanding PhD students from the following faculties: theol., ius., phil.hist., rer.pol. as well as PhD candidates in social or organisational psychology who need financial help in completing their dissertations (max. 12 months).
- Postdoctoral students who want to create their own research group at the University of Basel or who need start-up or completion funding for an outstanding research project.
- Assistant and senior physicians employed at the University Hospital/University Children's Hospital (or one of the university clinics Basel) who want to undertake a clinical research project in compliance with the guidelines and information sheet.
What types of things are eligible for funding?
- Personal salary
- Funds for leave of absence
- Salary for a staff member
- for Postdocs: consumables (costs for materials, proofreading costs) to a limited extent
How to proceed
- Grants Tool: timely request of a virtual infrastructure confirmation (untill 15.01. or 15.08.) by your department as follows:
- Login Grants Tool incl. budget calculator (basic project data, budget)
- Should you have difficulties with your registration please contact us with the required details (information sheet for application)
- Upon receipt of the department's approval by e-mail you will be provided with a link to the application form
- No futher steps required in the Grants Tool
- Complete the data in the application form for "Research Fund Junior Researchers" (the form will be the cover sheet of your application)
Submission of your application as a hardcopy (loose pages, single sided) together with all relevant documents and original signatures
(information sheet for application)