Pursuant to the will of both donors: “the purpose of the foundation is to serve academic research and studies; in other words, the interest of the assets is to be used to awarded scholarships to talented students from all faculties and grant funding for scientific and academic research.” The foundation charter can be read in the Office of Early Career Researchers' Development.
Using the available funds in the Nikolaus and Bertha Burckhardt-Bürgin Foundation, grants are awarded for finishing your the PhD thesis in natural sciences as a priority.
In the following information sheet for application you will find important information on how to proceed when applying to Burckhardt-Bürgin Foundation.
1 February, 12 o'clock (noon!)
Earliest possible start for funding: June
- Data in the online application form
- Cover letter with reason for applying
- Curriculum vitae
- Academic degrees/ diplomas
- List of publications
- Project description, research plan
- 2 letters of recommendation by professors (one of which by first supervisor)
How to proceed
Please consult and read carefully the information sheet for application. The whole precedure is documented there. The most important steps are the following:
- Grants Tool: timely request of the electronic infrastructure confirmation (until 15.01.) by your department as follows:
- Login Grants Tool incl. budget calculator (basic project data, budget), upon login create a new project, select " University of Basel Forschungsfonds" -> "Forschungsfonds (Excellent Junior Researcher)" and complete the entry and budget and include as a comment "Burckhardt Bürgin-Foundation"; submission deadline = submission deadline of foundation, planned project start date = start date of the funding / planned project end date = end date of the funding. Please note that the earliest possible funding start is June. Please indicate in the "comment" field that you are applying for "Burckhardt-Bürgin foundation".
- Should you have difficulties with your login please contact us (see information sheet for application).
- Upon receipt of the department's approval by e-mail you will be provided with a personalised link to the application platform where you have to complete a form and upload all the necessary application documents.
- No futher steps are required in the Grants Tool!
- Upon receipt of the link to the application platform: You will receive the link automatically by e-mail after the departmental confirmation (see first step). Please complete the required data in the application form for "Nikolaus und Bertha Burckhardt Bürgin-Stiftung" and upload all the necessary documents. It is possible to temporarily save the entered data and access the current status via the same link.
Submission of your application: via the submission button you are submitting your application inc. all required documents electronically. If successful, a PDF will generate with the data in the application form that you can save for your own purposes. Please see the information sheet for application for all the important information and documents.
Stiftungsrat (gewählt am 12.12.2017; Eintrag HR 2018; Mutation 30.04.2019)
Prof. Dr. Torsten Schwede
Prof. Dr. Christoph Bruder
Prof. Dr. Gabriela Kuster Pfister
Prof. Dr. Moritz Lehmann
Prof. Dr. Rolf Dieter Stieglitz