Opportunities at the University of Basel
Family Pass for the Basel region
The Family Pass (CHF 30 per year) lets families enjoy over 150 free deals and discounts in the Basel region. Not only does this save money, but it also gives families who have recently moved to Switzerland a way to familiarize themselves with the various opportunities for families and leisure activities in the Basel region (Swiss page).
The Family Pass is available to all parents and guardians who
- have one or more children aged 14 and younger;
- live in the same household with their children;
- live in the cantons of Basel-Stadt, Baselland or in the districts of Dorneck/Thierstein (canton of Solothurn) or Rheinfelden/Laufenburg (canton of Aargau).
Colour Key (14 to 25 years)
the Colour Key leisure ticket for people aged 14 to 25 gives numerous free offers and discounts in the following areas: Sport, theater, music, clubs, cinema, museums, courses etc.
Basel vacation pass (6 to 16 years)
The Basler Ferienpass for kids and youngsters offers leisure- and creativity-type of activities during the summer holidays.
In addition to the popular “Robi” playgrounds, the Robi-Spielaktionen association also offers holiday camps for children (Kinder-Ferien-Stadt) as well as daycare services. Robi-Spielaktionen manages the following playgrounds in an educationally beneficial way on behalf of the city of Basel:
- Robi Voltamatte (St.-Johann neighborhood)
- Robi Horburg (Matthäus-Horburg neighborhood)
- Robi Bachgraben (Iseli neighborhood)
- Robi Allmend (Hirzbrunnen neighborhood)
- In the spring of 2002, Robi-Spielaktionen also opened a covered playground – the SpielFeld – in Gundeldingerfeld.
- In 2012, Robi Birsfelden and the Spielestrich Kaserne were added to the list of playgrounds and locations managed by the Robi-Spielaktionen association.
The canton of Basel-Stadt has three toy libraries (Ludotheken) that lend out toys and games. Toy libraries are available to children as well as adults and also offer on-site spaces for playing together.
- Ludothek Kleinhüningen, Kleinhüningerstrasse 205, 4057 Basel, Tel. +41 (0)61 631 22 65
- Ludothek Bläsi, Bläsiring 85, 4057 Basel, Tel. +41 (0)61 691 70 80
- Ludothek St. Johann, Landskronstrasse 60, 4056 Basel, Tel. +41 (0)61 321 60 50
The canton of Baselland has nine toy libraries.
There is new the ManaBar in Basel, offering games of all types in a Bar-style setting for old and young.
JUKIBU – intercultural library for children and teenager
The intercultural library for children and adolescents St. Johann JUKIBU offers books in more than 50 languages from all over the world. It is part of the GGG city libraries of Basel, i.e. ten public libraries: the central library, seven branch libraries and the community library in Pratteln as well as the UKBB Children's Library and the Reading Promotion Kleinhüningen.
Additional fun activities
- a children's theater with performances put on by children, for children
- the Vorstadttheater
- a puppet theater for adults and children
- the Theater Arlecchino
- the Theater Fauteuil with performances of classical children's fairy tales told in dialect
- the Theater für zu Hause (Theater, Dance & more for those at home)
- the Circus Basilisk
- the Station Circus
- museums for children (e.g. Toy Museum in Riehen, Toy Worlds Museum, Basel Paper Mill, Natural History Museum, Fire Department Museum, Augusta Raurica, Sauriermuseum Frick and more) as well as museums with programs, tours, etc., intended specifically for children and young people
- the Zoo as well as the animal park Lange Erlen
- lovely parks and gardens
- family centers in the neighborhoods or neighborhood gathering places that are also family friendly
- the children's city map
- the Kinderbüro Basel (kids' office)
- the kids' event-calendar
- spashing in numerous Basel fountains
- conduct a sightseeing tour by bus or tram
- cruise the river Rhine by ferry or ship
- enjoy the river bank by swimming, by barbecuing and having fun
- move around in the Jumpfactory
- discover the beautiful old town following the signpost
- visit the observatory
- master the Ninja/Trampolin/Parcour-challenges at Overground
- and discovery further ideas and links on the platform Baleidoskop.
Further ideas for activities in the three-country area "Regio"