Students are taking action to reduce CO2 emissions from air travel associated with scientific activities. The University of Basel is taking responsibility and working on an implementation concept.
Reducing flight-related greenhouse gas emissions
- Developing specific reduction goals and proposals for action to reduce flight-related greenhouse gas emissions
Improving the data available on greenhouse gas emissions from business trips
- Setting up a framework for collecting and preparing data on air travel-related greenhouse gas emissions from the University of Basel 2017–2018
Sustainability Office in collaboration with Finance & Controlling, Accounting department
Improving infrastructure and support for virtual meetings
- Setting up several classrooms in the Main Building with the necessary technical equipment for virtual meetings and collaborations
- Preparing a concept for procurement, maintenance and support for virtual meetings at the University of Basel, coordinating the roles of Facilities and IT Services.
Office of the Executive Director
Five students – Oriana Fasciati (German, History), Jeannine Fluri (Biology), Iva Culjak (Eastern European Cultural Studies, Political Science), Juri Schmidhauser (Sociology, Art History) and Jonas Hinck (Middle Eastern Studies, History) – introduced an initiative to the Senate in the fall of 2018 to reduce air travel. In a video, Iva, Juri and Jonas explain what motivated them to start the initiative.
«Tatort Mobilität» – Sustainability Week 2018
During the five days of the Sustainability Week, held from April 16-20, 2018, participants explored many intriguing, unresolved questions relating to the topic of mobility: How far does our food travel before it lands on our plates? Can digitalization and e-mobility reduce the environmental impact of mobility? And what can we do in our everyday lives to help?
Services & further information
- Discounted car sharing: University of Basel students and staff can take advantage of a discounted trial or annual plan with car sharing provider Mobility.
- Rent a road bike in the Unibas look: Since the summer of 2018, staff working in the Main Building and Petersgraben 35 can rent a mint-colored fix-gear bike during work hours (info available from Team Marketing & Event).
- On the Sustainability Office webpage you can find the brochure «Sustainability: Tips for Everyday Life» and the fact sheet «Sustainability on the road».