Where do students live? Basel is divided into two halves by the River Rhine: The northern half is known as Kleinbasel, and the southern half as Grossbasel. Kleinbasel is a very popular area to live for students for two reasons: The rents are lower here than in Grossbasel and there is a very active nightlife. Grossbasel has the advantage of being very close to many of the university buildings, as well as being right in the center of town. The Gundeli quarter is between the Swiss railway station (Bahnhof SBB) and the Margarethen park to the south of the city. Even though Gundeli is a little bit further away from the center of town and the Rhine, it has many advantages such as lower rents and direct access to the public transport at Bahnhof SBB.
Finding a place to live
Finding somewhere to live can prove pretty challenging for students. Fortunately there is WoVe in such cases – the student accommodation service. This charitable organization finds and rents good-value accommodation for young people in education.
On the so-called Unimarkt of the University of Basel, flats or rooms for rent are advertised and you can post a small ad free of charge here as well.
ZiUm – Private accommodations for students and trainees.
- Basel Student Residence Cooperative: This student residence is on Mittlere Strasse 33 and provides 100 furnished rooms.
- The student residence Borromäum provides accommodation for young people in education.
- The Katholische Studentenhaus offers affordable accommodation for 70 students in a central location - regardless of religion and nationality.
- Behind the name of the theological student residence Alumneum stands a lot of history and a long tradition. Today, the residence at Hebelstrasse 17 is open to students from all faculties
- The Evangelische Studienhaus Meierhof specifically caters to students of the Faculty of Theology or students interested in theology in general.
- The Pro Filia-House offers rooms for young women in education.
- Le Centre is a congregation building owned by the French Church and offers students affordable accommodation in close vicinity of the University.
Guest house of the University of Basel
The foundation Guesthouse of the University of Basel rents furnished flats to lecturers and postdocs who stay in Basel only temporarily.
Covid-19 special offers
Advantageous (temporary) hotel accommodation for students, doctoral students, post docs:
Adagio Basel City - Special offer for Students in Basel