Applying for a Leave of Absence for Students in Bachelor and Master Programs
Students in bachelor and master programs neither making use of the university’s teaching or research services, nor intending to obtain credit points, may be granted a leave of absence of no more than two semesters at a time. Leaves of absence must be applied for when reregistering.
- Extended leaves of absence may also be granted for compelling reasons (illness, maternity or paternity leave, military or civil service).
- No leaves of absence will be granted in the first semester following matriculation. Students writing their bachelor’s or baster’s thesis are not eligible for leaves of absence.
- Students on leave will remain matriculated and will be charged reduced semester fees (currently CHF 150 + CHF 10 skuba contribution).
- Leaves of absence are entered on the student ID card and in the official certificates of study.
- Leaves of absence are valid for the respective academic semester (e.g. fall semester 2018: 1 August 2018 to 31 January 2019).
Students wishing to be granted leave for the forthcoming semester are advised to submit their application as follows:
- Log on to the university’s MOnA web application using your unibas email access data.
- Select “Semester Registration” to access the registration / reporting back service.
- Activate the buttons “I wish to submit one of the following applications] and “leave of absence", and then follow the further instructions appearing on the screen. Upon successful completion, you can print out a supplementary sheet that will be sent to you via email.
- Download the form “application for a leave of absence” from this website.
- Submit a completed copy of the form together with the supplementary sheet, printed out from MOnA, either in writing or in person to the Student Administration Office no later than 20 August 2018.
- Upon processing your application, the Student Administration Office will send you a payment slip for the semester fees (CHF 150 + CHF 10 skuba contribution) by post.