Recognized higher education institution
A foreign higher education institution is recognized by the University of Basel
- if its recognition is stated in an agreement, a contract or a binding arrangement with the Swiss Confederation or the University of Basel
- if it has been state-approved or accredited in the respective educational system and can award doctorates, meaning it has the right to offer academic doctorates and to confer the respective degree.
A higher education institution and its degrees are in general not recognized if they fail to fulfil either of the above criteria.
A degree is only recognized if at least 80% of the course achievements were obtained at a recognized higher education institution in an accredited degree program.
A degree that has been awarded from a distance learning course is recognized if all of the following requirements are fulfilled:
- The degree has been awarded by a recognized higher education institution and at least 80% of the course achievements have been obtained at a recognized higher education institution.
- The degree course is recognized/accredited by the official government agency in the respective education system.
- The course achievements in the distance learning course are comparable with those from a course of study with compulsory attendance in the respective higher education system.
- The degree achieved in the distance learning course allows admission to further studies at the next level, including to a course of study with compulsory attendance, in the respective higher education system.