Funding from the University of Basel
The University of Basel has its own fund to aid students with very limited resources and from low-income families. The following table provides an overview of the key eligibility criteria.
What financial aid can be applied for through the student welfare office?
Scholarship funds from the university
The funds are awarded primarily in the form of partial scholarships during the final degree phase (BA/MA) and range from CHF 200 to 600 per person, per month.
Solidarity fund (Solifonds) from the student body
In addition to funds from the scholarship funds, these funds are awarded in an amount ranging from CHF 500 to 1000 per person, per semester.
Grant for studying abroad
Each semester, this scholarship fund is awarded to between three and five students with limited resources in order to finance a semester abroad (BA or MA level) at a partner university in another country.
The maximum award is CHF 2500 per person, per semester.
These funds are awarded to students who are completing their degrees (BA/MA) in biology degree programs with a focal area in zoology/botany and range from CHF 200 to 600 per person, per month.
Margarete and Walter Lichtenstein Foundation*
These medical department funds from the Margarete and Walter Lichtenstein Foundation are awarded to medical students with Swiss citizenship:
* Students enrolled in human and dental medicine at the University of Basel from the start of program
* Students enrolled in the degree program for nursing science at the University of Basel from the start of the program
Health and Accident Fund
The University of Basel has a fund which can cover costs incurred in the event of illness or accident and which are not covered by health insurance. Applications to the student welfare office are to be submitted, if possible, before treatment and with a cost estimate.
Refunding of tuition fees
From the second semester, students with very limited resources have the opportunity to request a refund of tuition fees. The eligibility criteria are in line with those for cantonal scholarships.
It is worthwhile to set up an appointment with us to answer questions concerning financing your studies
- We will be happy to provide detailed advice concerning the existing university funds. We also provide application forms.
- We serve as an intermediary between you and your parents should there be any discrepancies in support cost figures.
- the scholarship system of the cantons
- the addresses and eligibility criteria of private foundations
- possibilities for budget savings
The student welfare office provides additional information and advice and will be happy to assist you with the submission of applications.