The Radiation Protection Division of the University of Basel supports the departments in all areas of ionizing radiation:
- In the preparation of permit applications
- Dosimetry, waste management, purchasing of measuring instruments etc.
- Disposal of radioactive waste (incl. coordination of collective waste disposal)
- Transport of radioactive materials between university institutes
It also has the authority to carry out audits or can intervene in case of legal infringements.
The Radiation Protection Division is in charge of all permits for the handling with ionizing radiation at the University of Basel.
The following work with ionizing radiation is subject to authorization:
- The handling of radioactive substances above a certain activity level (including contrasting work with uranyl acetate),
- The operation of X-ray machines (also full protection systems)
- The operation of irradiation machines (e.g. Gammacell)
- The operation of transmission electron microscopes with an acceleration voltage > 30 kV (interference emitter)
If you require a permit from the FOPH, please contact the Radiation Protection Division: email@example.com
In departments that are licensed to handle ionizing radiation, a radiation protection expert must be appointed on-site, who has been trained and recognized by the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH.
You can find further contents on the new intranet of the university under Safety (only accessible with login)