Welcome to the University of Basel!
The Welcome Center provides on behalf of the International Office assistance to new members and guests of the university. In addition to existing services at university departments and secretariats, the Welcome Center serves as a center for
a) information (> see web-chapters above) and
b) personal support (> via contact form below, email, Skype, phone or in person).
The Welcome Center offers flexible appointments upon agreement.
Most important: Please contact us timely, i.e. 2-3 months before your first day at work; for Dual Career persons or newcomer with children even 6 months.
If arriving short-term, you seriously risk not only a stressful start of work/studies, but also higher expenditures, limited choice and waiting time (ad hoc room-/flat-hunting, missing documents, administrative procedures etc.).
The Welcome Center is aimed at professors, visiting scientists and researchers, postdocs, PhD students, staff as well as international students (incl. Eucor-students) at the University of Basel and offers assistance plus resources that allow people to help themselves - at the beginning, during or at the end of the assignment at the University of Basel.
It serves also as point of contact for faculty and department units (e.g. hotel-agreements, delegations etc.)
The Welcome Center:
- serves as a guide for using University of Basel facilities and services
- compiles specific web-based information
- offers support with formalities in terms of registration and taking up residence in the Basel region
- provides housing assistance
- informs about childcare, school system and family activities
- provides a broad overview of culture, social affairs and integration
- prepares welcome-packages with information about the university, the region and Switzerland (for newcomer but also department: pickup upon appointment)
- on request, sends checklists to provide orientation to different groups as they go through the various steps from their arrival all the way to their departure
- assists with language and comprehension problems when completing forms and helps making difficult telephone calls
- provides dual-career support for professors as well as their partners
- is a contact for hotels and provider of accomodation (see ADAM workspace: Welcome Center)
- is responsible for the coordination with external partners (city, cantons, partner universities etc.)
- offers information and guidance at various university events
- is involved in the ongoing development of the embracing culture of the University.
For questions or to contact the Welcome Center, please also feel free to use this Email adress. It would be very helpful if you could give us the following information. Thank you:
2. Academic title
3. Family name
4. First name
7. Last country of residence
8. Starting day of work or studies
9. Period of stay
10. Future/hosting unit at the Basel University
11. Contact person
12. Name of your department at the Basel University
13. Purpose of your stay in Basel (your role)
14. Will your partner join you
15. If you are accompanied by children: number + age
16. Welcome Service required:
17. How did you learn about the Welcome Center?
Euraxess Center of the University of Basel
SUPPORT FOR MOBILE RESEARCHER (INCOMING / OUTGOING):
The Welcome Center is the Euraxess Center of the University of Basel and herewith part of the Euraxess Network which is providing information and support for mobile researchers and is represented in 40 countries across Europe and at 6 destinations abroad (Asia, Australia/New Zealand as well as North- and South America). The website of Euraxess Switzerland offers comprehensive information in terms of topics such as relocation, start of work, research and family.