Welcome & Euraxess Center
Welcome to the University of Basel!
The Welcome & Euraxess Center provides assistance to new members and guests of the university. In addition to existing services at university departments and faculties, the Welcome Center serves as a center for
a) information (> see web-chapters above) and
b) personal support (> by email, phone, in person as well as via Skype, Webex, Zoom).
The Welcome & Euraxess Center offers flexible appointments upon agreement.
Most important: Please contact us timely, i.e. 2-3 months before your first day at work; for Dual Career persons or families even 6 months.
*** Dear newcomer, member & guests of the University:
1. Please take notice of the offical guidelines, recommendations and special support of the University of Basel with regards to the current Coronavirus-pandemic. This overview shows a selection of university services happy to provide support.
2. The current status with regards to entering Switzerland, residence provisions, quarantine-stipulations etc. can be found on the website of the Swiss State Secretariat for Migration SEM and on the website of the website of the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH.
The Website of Euraxess Switzerland provides further information & links about the ongoing situation in Switzerland.
The Welcome & Euraxess Center continues providing personal advice, given the current situation however mostly online via email, Skype, Webex & Zoom and via phone upon agreement.***
The Welcome & Euraxess Center is aimed at professors, visiting scientists and researchers, postdocs, PhD students, staff as well as international students (incl. Eucor-students) at the University of Basel and offers assistance plus resources that allow people to help themselves - at the beginning, during or at the end of the assignment at the University of Basel.
It serves also as point of contact for faculty and department units (e.g. hotel-agreements, delegations etc.)
The Welcome & Euraxess Center:
- serves as a guide for using University of Basel facilities and services
- assists particularly with the Incoming- & Outgoing-process
- compiles specific web-based information
- offers support with formalities in terms of registration and taking up residence in the Basel region
- provides housing assistance
- informs about childcare, school system and family activities
- provides a broad overview of culture, social affairs and integration
- prepares welcome-packages with information about the university, the region and Switzerland (for newcomer but also department: pickup upon appointment)
- on request, sends checklists to provide orientation to different groups as they go through the various steps from their arrival all the way to their departure
- assists with language and comprehension problems when completing forms and helps making difficult telephone calls
- provides dual-career support for professors as well as their partners
- is a contact for hotels and provider of accomodation (see internal ADAM workspace: Welcome & Euraxess Center)
- is responsible for the coordination with external partners (city, cantons, partner universities etc.)
- offers information and guidance at various university events
- is involved in the ongoing development of the embracing culture of the University.
Please place your service request via this Move On tool which will register already all relevant aspects related to your inquiry, facilitating hereby significantly the process for both sides. First you will be asked to register with an email-address in order to provide in a next step all personal arrival details for initiating the welcome service (Duration in total: ca. 10', saving of steps enabled). At the end you will receive an automatic confirmation. As a rule, you will get contacted by the Welcome & Euraxess Center within 1-2 working days. (ESKAS-scholarhip holders get exclusive support by Student Exchange; no Move on-registration with the Welcome Center required).
Short questions, other inquiries or comments etc. can be alternatively send directly via email to the Welcome & Euraxess Center (see contact box above/right side).
Euraxess Center of the University of Basel
SUPPORT FOR MOBILE RESEARCHER (INCOMING / OUTGOING):
The Welcome Center is at the same time the Euraxess Center of the University of Basel and herewith part of the global Euraxess Network which is providing information and support for mobile researcher. It is represented in 40 countries across Europe and with 8 hubs abroad (Asia: China, India, Japan, Singapore, South Corea; Australia & New Zealand as well as North- and South America/Carribean). Numerous Euraxess Centers in Switzerland offer a tight network for advice and support in terms of research mobility which is particularly important for a science-area like ours. The website of Euraxess Switzerland offers comprehensive information in terms of topics such as relocation, start of work, research and family.