+ -

University of Basel

Entry & Permit

To enter Switzerland, a valid form of identification recognized by Switzerland (passport) must always be presented. An official identity card is sufficient for citizens of EU and EFTA countries. Depending on your home country, you may also need a visa (EU/EFTA nationals do not need a visa); more information below.


Before entering Switzerland or traveling to the Basel region, please find out ahead of time which entry formalities are required and remember that the official bureaucratic processes can take several weeks or months depending on the case. More detailed information is provided by the Swiss representation in other countries and from the State Secretariat for Migration SEM.

In education: International students and doctoral candidates

Here you will find detailled information regarding visa and residence permit for the period before and after the matriculation, classified in various groups

  • from countries requiring or not requiring visas
  • from the border region
  • within the Erasmus-programme
  • for familiy members

Important: Make sure to apply for the appropriate type of visa, e.g. do not apply for a tourist visa if actually a visa for educational purpose is needed.

Employed by the University of Basel

The STAFF PORTAL (see also quick link at the very bottom) leads you to all information, contact persons, documents and further references related to your employment. Important information can be found in addition in the filing basked DOCUMENTS (see on the very top of this website). The following highlights the essential topics.

Work permit when selecting place of residence in Switzerland

The university will promptly submit an application for a so-called guarantee of employment to the responsible immigration authorities if the person in question is a third-state national. If the guarantee is issued, the university sends this along with the employment contract to the new employee. This guarantee must be brought along with you when you officially register in your canton of residence.

Citizens from EU/EFTA states do not require a guarantee of employment. The university sends the employment contract. They are then responsible for handling the residence registration and work permit application procedures themselves.

Generally: Various categories of work permit exist in Switzerland. For more information, visit the State Secretariat for Immigration website.

To top