This page informs researchers about current measures in connection with the Corona virus. The information is updated continuously, most recently on 1 July 2020, 04:00 pm.
Research operating normally with restrictions
Research at the University of Basel is operating normally with restrictions, which are defined in the precautionaly measures of the individual departments and faculties. This should enable all researchers to continue their research projects effectively. At the same time, the University of Basel is strictly following the protective measures recommended by the BAG and the Canton of Basel-Stadt to contain the Covid-19 pandemic.
Precautionary measures of the departments and faculties
Departments require individual sets of precautionary measures, which assure that the rules on hygiene, social distancing and traceability of contacts can be observed at all times and can be adapted to recent developments. For all researchers at the University of Basel this means:
- There is a general obligation to wear masks, the existing regulations of the departments remain in force. At the present time, no tightening of the distance rules is planned, i.e. there can be exceptions to the 1.5 meter rule , such as for conducting experiments or operating equipment. A lifting of the mask obligation is only possible in rooms with a maximum of one person.
- For all research activities a distance of 1.5 meters must be maintained. Justifiable exceptions to this rule are made for specific experimental setups, the operation of equipment and other scientific reasons. Appropriate documentation must ensure that the department management can trace contacts and possible chains of infection at all times.
- All cases of Covid-19 at the University of Basel must be reported immediately to the Corona Task Force.
- Research activities that can be carried out well in the home office should continue to be carried out there. This will relieve the burden on public transport and simplify the implementation of the hygiene and social distancing rules in the university buildings.
- Meetings and discussions at which physical presence offers an advantage can take place at the University, provided that hygiene and social distancing rules can be observed and the traceability of contacts is ensured. In general, it is still recommended to conduct meetings and discussions by telephone or virtually; For this purpose the university provides the video conferencing systems "Zoom" and "Cisco Webex".
- The precautionary measures of the departments regulate not only the use of the laboratories, but also of offices, meeting and break rooms, as well as the organisation of courses and other events. Therefore, they equally take into account the general guidelines of the security office. For coordination questions, please contact Marco Pagoni, head of “Security and Guidelines”.
- For workplaces and equipment that are used by several people, a suitable hygiene concept must be in place.
- The precautionary measures of the departments are to be approved by the faculties. The departments are responsible for their implementation.
Questions and feedback
For questions, comments or suggestions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.