Information about the new coronavirus
The Federal Council has decreed that no classroom teaching may take place until further notice. The measures adopted by the university management are in line with the Federal Council’s instructions and are aimed at slowing down the spread of the coronavirus. The University of Basel is thus contributing to the protection of the population in Switzerland.
Federal Council announces relaxation – Implications for the University of Basel
Wednesday, 27 May 2020: The Federal Council has announced further relaxation of restrictions, which will be implemented on Saturday, 30 May and Monday, 8 June. Key points for the University of Basel: The upper limit for assemblies will be raised. However, the requirements regarding hygiene and distance will remain in place. After the information by the Federal Council, the President's Office discussed the effects on the University of Basel and decided on the following measures:
Opening of the study rooms
The new upper limit for meetings allows the University Library to reopen some of the learning rooms as of 8 June. In the coming days, the University Library will draw up a detailed protection concept to ensure that access to the learning rooms can be guaranteed while observing the distance and hygiene rules. As soon as this concept is in place, the members of the university will be informed immediately. Please consult the website before visiting the library.
Upper limit for meetings – meetings possible
Since the Federal Council has raised the upper limit for meetings to 30 people as of 30 May, larger meetings will also be possible in future - always provided that the hygiene and distance rules are observed.
Preparation for the autumn semester
Currently, a group around Vice-President Thomas Grob and the Deans of Studies is working on the framework conditions for teaching in the coming semester. Following today's decisions by the Federal Council, the working group can now make more concrete plans and will inform in June which lecture formats will be possible in the autumn semester.
University Library new with pick-up borrowing for students
Wednesday, 29 April 2020, 10am: In view of the approaching examinations, the Basel University Library has received a special permit from Cantonal Officer of Health of Basel-Stadt. From 5 May 2020 students can collect online pre-ordered media from various libraries of the university on the ground floor of the Main Library. The Main University Library will set up a counter in the entrance area where the pick-up service will be offered. Books can be pre-ordered online via the catalogue from Thursday, April 30. The Main University Library has to be indicated as pick-up location. As soon as the books are ready for pick-up, a collection notice will be sent by e-mail. This must be brought along electronically or as a printout, only then is access to the library possible. Details of this offer can be found on the newly created website Pick-up borrowing.
The previous offers such as the reduced postage for CHF 5 per medium for all user groups and DigiLitPlus for students will continue to be available as services. .
Tightened travel regulations
The university management has tightened travel regulations and guest regulations. The new rule is that the University Management instructs its members not to travel for work-related reasons and not to receive guests at the University of Basel.
Sunday, 15 March 2020, 8pm: Based on the news of the last few hours, the university management has decided this evening on further measures this evening.
Home Office whenever possible - effective immediately
The university management instructs all superiors to implement Home Office whenever possible, and to do so with immediate effect! The superiors will work out the solutions together with the employees. In the case of positions that are indispensable for maintaining operations, superiors are requested to discuss this specific situation with employees. Their health comes first.
- All university buildings are closed to students.
- Students who need urgent access to the buildings should contact their faculty or department.
General information and guidelines
Implementation of events
Friday, 24 April 2020
- Until 08.06.2020 all events in the rooms of the university will be cancelled.
- Until 31.10.2020, no new room reservations for events outside of teaching will be made.
- Already confirmed room reservations for non-teaching events will remain in place subject to feasibility (instructions from the Federal Council, the FOPH, the Canton of Basel-Stadt, as well as personal requirements for teaching and availability of own staff).
These regulations will be adapted according to current developments.
Friday, 13 March 2020, 8pm: The university management has decided the following measures based on the Federal Council’s guidelines:
- Classroom teaching will be discontinued until the end of the spring semester 2020, and courses will be offered exclusively via digital channels from now on.
- The libraries of the University of Basel will be closed on the weekend of 14-15 March 2020. Together with the cantonal authorities, we will examine as soon as possible whether and in what form our libraries can remain accessible. This also applies to the learning rooms.
- The catering facilities at the University will remain closed until further notice.
- All offers of university sports will be discontinued, and the fitness centre will remain closed until further notice.
Current situation – Switzerland and international
Information on the current situation, federal government measures, recommendations for workplace and for travellers, and answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the website of the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH.